Friday 15 July 2011

Choice: reflection or transformation!!

Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.’: Albert Einstein

We all have been provided with a number of incredible gifts that are often times overlooked. One of such incredible gift provided to you and me is the power of choice.  We all know that at every stage in life an individual is suppose to make choices. These choices represent a fundamental tool that we use to deal with the opportunities, challenges and uncertainties that life offers. This we can safely conclude that the kind of quality of life we have been having and we will have depends upon the choices that we make. 

In order to lead a successful life, an individual is supposed to make right choices. But what constitutes a successful life? Is it the monetary gains that define a successful life? Is it the fame earned that defines the successful life? Is it a satisfaction to have led a respectable, ethical life that defines a successful life? Success is a fuzzy word and means different thing to different people. For me a success is to stick to my ethical values and achieve career growth while clinging on to it. I believe that honesty and integrity are the prime virtues that separate humans from other species. In my life I have experienced that sometimes mistakes committed by me adversely affects others. Thinking back in time and recollecting my experiences I can safely deduce that I always had a choice. One option was to blame my mistake to someone else and let that guilt haunt my heart to eternity. The other option was to own up the mistakes, appease the stake holders and make a commitment to not to repeat it in future. The second option gives me a chance to stay happy and live cheerfully.

If an individual have a strong ethical stand, compassion solution can be figured out easily. There have been instances wherein significant short cuts could have aided me in gaining significant advantages in my academic and professional career. I still not chose to consider any of those choices for a simple reason that I know at the end of the day I am only answerable to my conscience. If my conscience does not allow me to move along a certain path or is in dissonance with short term goals, it will haunt me.

In short I understand the fact that If only my actions, my thinking brings me peace, I can be happy. My ethics matters most to me. I can never move forward with an action that may cause dissonance with my inner self. The question arises how far this conviction will guide me ? The fallen angel "Lucifer" is know as the Satan today, do mere mortals like you and me could really pass through the test of time? Nothing could be concluded in such short interval. It is not that the seven deadly sins have not crossed their path with you and me, but they do have varied in intensity, opportunity and rewards. 

Life was never easy, it will never be. The seduction that choices bring with them, in a short term enhances material gain, but in long term transforms the entire gamut of our personality.

Freedom of choice is a luxury that we have. But are we willing to take the responsibility of the consequences that our choices bring with them? I think answering this question may not solve the issues running in my mind but they do guide me to the right path..don't you think so?

No comments:

Post a Comment